Trashigang is the largest district in the country and mostly comprises Tshanglas speaking natives, the aboriginal inhabitant of the district. The dzong that sits majestically on a ridge overlooking the Dangmechu and the Gamrichu was built in 1651. The Dzong over the years has played crucial roles as the Administrative and religious headquarter of the district.
While every village has their own tshechus to celebrate annually, however the highlight is the three day tshechu that is held in the dzong from the 7th to 11th of the tenth month of the Bhutanese calendar that corresponds to the month of December. The tshechu is witnessed by the Brokpas, a semi-nomadic community of Merak and Sakteng, the Khengpa community, and people from as far as Samdrup Jongkhar, Pema Gatshel, Monger and Trashi Yangtse.
On the 7th day, the monks take the thrue (bath) and on the 8th have their rehearsals. On the 9th day, the tshechu begins. On the 10th day thongdrol of Neten Chudrug (Sixteen Arhats) is unfurled together with different mask dances. On the final day, the old thongdrel of Guru Tshengyed is displayed with Guru Tshengyed Chhams.